Metcalf Dental is committed to providing clients with healthy, beautiful smiles. Patients of all ages might choose dental implants to replace teeth lost because of impact, decay or disease. Dental implants are the next best thing to natural teeth, and they last a lifetime.
What Are Dental Implants?
When patients are missing a tooth, the experts at Metcalf Dental can surgically place a titanium post below your gum line. A replacement tooth attaches to the post, where it is held securely. There are two types of implants approved by the American Dental Association:
- Endosteal implants are surgically attached to the jawbone. We’ll give the surrounding tissue time to heal, then later connect a post to the implant. The replacement tooth fastens securely to the post or can be grouped on a bridge.
- Subperiosteal implants involve mounting a metal frame into the jawbone and attaching protruding posts. Artificial teeth attach to the posts.
Why Choose Dental Implants?
Dentures can be uncomfortable, and they don’t always stay in place. Dental implants look and feel like natural teeth. Once an implant heals, you’ll forget you’ve had dental work done.
Dentures and dental bridges often have to be replaced every seven to ten years. Over a lifetime, replacements can become expensive. When cared for properly, dental implants never need to be replaced.
Unlike dentures, dental implants stay in your mouth all the time. You care for them just like regular teeth, but with an added benefit. Replacement teeth and implant-restored crowns are not susceptible to tooth decay, so while it’s important to practice good oral care, they never get cavities. Implants keep surrounding teeth from shifting and decay from occurring in the gap between.
People with damaged or missing teeth sometimes spend years being embarrassed about their smile. Dental implants allow you to smile, laugh, eat and drink without worrying what’s going on in your mouth. We’ll match them to your other teeth, and you can greet life with confidence knowing you have a beautiful, healthy smile.
Who Is a Candidate?
Anyone with healthy gums and bone structure is a candidate for dental implants. Sometimes people have jawbones that are thin, soft or weak, and they require a bone graft to strengthen them enough to support replacement teeth. Other times sinuses may be too close to the jaw and patients need a sinus lift to make room.
Oral Care with Implants
Most dental implant procedures are successful, but oral health is essential to preserving your radiant smile. To ensure your implants last, follow these steps:
- Take care of your teeth every day. Brush twice daily and floss once. Choose interdental brushes to clean between teeth, especially around your implant.
- Stop smoking. Cigarettes cause bone structure to deteriorate and can damage your implant.
- Avoid ice, hard candy and other foods that could cause damage. They could damage your natural teeth as well as your implant.
- See your dentist regularly. Have your teeth cleaned and examined every six months to keep your whole mouth healthy.
Dental Implant Experts
At Metcalf Dental, we believe a healthy smile is an essential part of a happy life. We help patients restore oral health and keep their mouth healthy for a lifetime. Call us at (630)368-1007 or Submit Form to Schedule an appointment today.